Saturday, August 16, 2014

I remember

When I was young and learned to knit and when my babes were small; I'd sit on the floor. Now, at 54, if I get down low, I can't get back up. I don't have a comfy place. Silly thoughts really for someone who wears two pair of glasses and owns 4 that she uses! One pair is always on my head, another magnifies my stitching. I have trifocals that need a new perscription, a pair for seeing the computer screen for reading, and one so I can see faces across the table. Ah the tribulations of aging. And still, I knit. My fingers know my craft. It gives me peace.

We adopted another dog this week giving us three. They all should live 12-15 yrs and I figure this is my last go round with pets. My heart needs them. Little Scotty is a stinker dog as I've always called them. 26 lbs, shaggy, long hair, short legs - terrier mix. Jackie is a 35 lb terrier mix with coarse, shaggy coat. And Rory, my 85 lb Black Mouth Cur that we shouldn't have - a hunting dog loving 2 old farts who can't run with him. He stays inside and is an overgrown wiggle butt. And his bark - deep, braying like he's treeing a huge prey when he's simply swatting paws with one of the cats. lol These are my babies now.

My youngest son has started his Senior year of High School. I told him yesterday he has always cheated us out of all the things parents stress about like pictures and yearbooks because he deems them unimportant. He grinned at me and told me he needs colored pencils. Mrs ____ likes colored homework. Yes he's growing up...but he still needs prompting for baths and chores and doesn't tie his shoes or drive. He is an animal whisperer though. He always has been. He likes the new dog.

My youngest daughter wants to go to college at 23 yrs old. She needs my tax returns which we haven't filed for the last 2 years. Sweet girl. she's growing up so well. Kai is living hard but okay by her own standards. We get along and I don't critisize her. She's precious to me, too. My middle child has decided to live her life without me as has my oldest son. They are together and close to the others, so I let that go - I can't be someone else to please them. And finishing my backwards trek, my oldest is a brilliant, awesome mother of two boys. she makes my heart sing. They all do; but she has grown kind and loving and unselfish. She's the kind of woman I always wanted to be.

I don't know why not being able to get off the floor this morning made me pensive. So many around me to love on makes me teary with sweet thoughts. One day, hubby and I want to move to North Carolina and simplify things. We do want that acre of land and some sunshine for our garden before we are too old to enjoy it.

And since I last posted there have been SOCKS and hats, a blanket and silliness!










No comments:

Post a Comment